Monday, June 27, 2005

No TV

As part of my effort to simplify, and following the inspiration of henrybeamis on the Simple Living website, I quit watching television about a month ago. This was no easy task, as my dear wife still watches every night. Unintentionally, I have also stopped listening to the radio. Oddly, that just sort of evolved out of the TV fast. This has gone on for over a month.

I have noticed some amazing changes in that time.

I go to bed earlier, sleep better, and wake up earlier. I exercise and work in my garden, sometimes for as much as two hours before I even get to work. I am in a better mood most of the time. I am less aggressive and less judegmental. I am more gentle. I find myself taking my time in many different things, rushing less, yet getting more done. When I'm bored, I don't just flick on the TV. I have to get a little more creative. I smile more, laugh more. I don't see TV pictures in my head. I see (as in notice) more things as I go through my day, live more mindfully, remember more.

I read more.

I love this. I'm not sure I'll ever go back.

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Chris S. said...

I loved this post, Story! I'm also trying to break the hold that my TV has over me. It's so affirming to see that others are trying to do the same, and are having the same experiences. You're most welcome to visit my ongoing story, at TV Addicts Anonymous.

Congratulations. And strength to your sword arm.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Storypage said...

Thanks, Chris S. I have visited and enjoyed it. I want to encourage you to stick with it. I would also like to encourage you to visit the Simple Living Network at http://www.simpleliving.net and follow the links to the forums. There are a lot of like-minded people there (although there are also a few wet blankets, but that goes with anything I think). Anwya, you will find a lot of support for what you are trying to do.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Storypage:

It great to find yet another person breaking free of the clutches of TV!

I started my own anti-TV blog 31 days ago and it's been quite a journey. Yesterday was the BIG 30 day mark, and I had my first official slip which you can read about in my blog if you're interested.

I love what you said about your wife still watching every night. I have the exact same issue with my wife, and she even informed me yesterday that she loves watching TV and has no intention of stopping. However, I have noticed her turning it off a lot more than she used to, and I can only hope it's because she knows I've been trying to avoid it.

I can also relate to your comment about remembering things more. Well, actually I'm just noticing how much I can't seem to remember anymore. I'm only 37 and every time I try to recall something, it's a like a little firewall pops up in my brain and keeps the info from getting to my tongue. I can only hope it's a temporary problem caused by my long standing TV addiction.

So anyway, good luck on staying away from the tube, and hopefully you'll post more about your progress. You should also update your blogger profile so we can learn more about you. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home